Friday, March 9, 2012

Jour.4460- Blog #8: Will Pinterest’s terms of use cause a decrease in users?


             Pinterest has grown in popularity in the past year. For some it has become an addicting pastime, at least for me it has. Many businesses have also been incorporating Pinterest to promote their products.  The majority of the users on Pinterest are women and “with over 11 million unique monthly visitors (and counting), Pinterest became the fastest standalone website to eclipse the 10 million per month mark ever” (PR Daily). That’s pretty impressive, so why are so many users having second thoughts all of a sudden before pinning to Pinterest?  
Well according to a recent article on prdaily.com, “the site's terms of use stipulate that people who pin photos to the site agree that they are the owners of the photos or have permission from the owners to post them.” I know from my experience, I rarely read the terms of use that are any site I use, simply because I don’t think there’s a lot of risk from the sites I use.  I’m sure there is plenty of other people who feel the same way or are just to lazy to take the time to read.  
The strange thing about the terms of use that Pinterest has set is that it kind of contradicts the whole idea of the site. The whole idea of Pinterest is to share photos and ideas with other users of the same interest.  It would be such a hassle to ask every single owner of the photos for permission to pin their photos to their boards.  Also, I doubt that people actually take the time to click on the picture to where it directs them to the original site of the photo. I know every time I come upon a picture I like, I just repin it and continue to scroll down.
Not only are the terms of use a problem for users, but for photographers as well.  Even though the majority of them want to use Pinterest to promote their work, according to the Pinterest terms of service, “you release all rights you have in a picture once you pin it." So this is pretty much saying once the photo is up on Pinterest, the photographer is allowing the company to do whatever they like with the photo. This makes photographers unsure about sharing their photos on the site any more. 


With all of these copyright laws going into effect here, will cause users to limit their use of Pinterest? Not many people are aware of this problem and don’t even know they are violating the terms of use.  As of now, “there is very little that can be done to avoid infringing copyright if you are a Pinterest user” (Kowalski).  The only thing users can do is to pin pictures they have taken themselves. Until this matter is resolved, pinners should be careful what they pin up.

Sources:



No comments:

Post a Comment